The City of Ottawa maintains a heritage register of 4600 non-designated properties with potential cultural heritage in the bounds of the City. The City of Ottawa has launched a survey to collect public opinions and background information on listed properties that may be significant to individuals or communities. Do you want to add properties that are important to your community to the register? Take this survey.
In 1981 Charlotte Gobeil got a rare look inside the Monastère du Précieux Sang then located at 774 Echo Drive in Ottawa South. Her visit with a documentary crew to the Sisters Adorers of the Precious Blood captures a fascinating glimpse of these cloistered nuns. Ms. Gobeil was welcomed by this contemplative order to witness the women’s daily life of devotion.
This story from the September 1994 OSCAR by David Bouse notes some of the similarities along the Rideau River over the many years of settlement in Ottawa South. An 1830 watercolour by artist James Pattison Cockburn inspires some comparisons.
From the Ottawa City Council Meeting 2017-09-27 update: The addition of 354 properties to Ottawa’s Heritage Register was approved by Council. All properties are located in the neighbourhoods of Old Ottawa East and Old Ottawa South.
South facade of old building facing Hopewell Avenue (Mohammad al-Asad, 2008) 17 Hopewell Avenue1910 and laterEducational View additional images of building. The first school on the present Hopewell Avenue Public School site dates back to the 1830s or 1840s. It was a one-room log building with a few windows, a small door, and a wood stove. By the end of the 1870s, this was replaced by a brick building with semi-circular arched windows and…
South part (Mohammad al-Asad, 2008) North part (Mohammad al-Asad, 2008) Bank Street Bridge over the Rideau Canal 1912, *restored in 1993Infrastructure View additional images of structure. The Bank Street Canal Bridge carries Bank Street along a roughly north – south direction over the Rideau Canal, linking The Glebe to Old Ottawa South. It also passes over Queen Elizabeth and Colonel By drives, each of which extends along one side of the canal.
Main (east) facade (Kathy Krywicki, 2008) 15 Aylmer Street (intersection of Aylmer Avenue and Bank Street) 1931 Religious View additional images of building. Two congregations in Ottawa South, the Methodist and Presbyterian, united to build Southminster United Church in 1931 on the site of the former Methodist Church, which had been built in 1909 but torn down to make way for the new building.
Front (north) facade (Kathy Krywicki, 2008) 32 Cameron Avenue c. 1887 Residential View Additional images of building. This 1 1/2-storey brick veneer structure was built around 1887 in the then-rural area south of Ottawa. The pitched roof, double-gabled façade, ornate verge boards, and one-storey veranda with its extensive woodwork and central gable are all of architectural interest. The chinoiserie pattern of the railings reveals the handiwork of a proficient local carpenter, but many of…
Front (south) facade facing Sunnyside Avenue (Kathy Krywicki, 2010) 131 Sunnyside Avenue 1912 Residential View additional images of building. The two-story Marion House sits at the northwest corner of Sunnyside and Bristol. It was bordered from the north by a number of market gardens that were part of the original Williams farm before development took over the nearby area along Southern Drive and Avenue Road.
Property Title: 66 Barton Street Address: 66 Barton Street (Lot 2, West Side Barton Avenue) Introduction The home at 66 Barton Street is a large, two-story, brick, cross-gable home built in 1897 By Jacob Vincent Poaps, an aspiring Ottawa merchant. It remained in the Poaps family throughout almost the entire twentieth century until 1987.
End of content
End of content