From the Archives: Ottawa South Memories

In this excerpt from the March 1990 OSCAR, June Kelly O’Byrne recounts memories of life on Sunnyside Avenue from the 1920s and beyond, with recollections of family and friends, and recalls the many local stores and businesses in the neighbourhood. Ottawa South Memories by June Kelly O’Byrne In 1920 my parents bought a little house on Sunnyside Ave. on a big lot which extended to Woodbine Place. Dad had just returned from the First…

The Lewis Williams Family

The Lewis Williams Family

Recently on March 1st, as a Saint David’s Day tribute, the Bytown Museum posted an historic photo of the Lewis Williams family. Lewis Williams came from Wales in 1817 and settled along the Rideau River in then Nepean Township; the heritage-designated Williams house still stands at 96 Southern Drive, in Old Ottawa South.

From the Archives: Tells About Conditions in Ottawa South in 1909

Old Time Stuff, by Earl G. Wilson, was a regular feature of the Ottawa Citizen for many years. This O.T.S. article transcribed here is from the Ottawa Citizen June 16, 1939. Tells About Conditions In Ottawa South Back in 1909 Some of the people presently residing in that thickly populated section of Ottawa South west of the Bank street, between Sunnyside and Cameron, will hardly credit the statement that thirty years ago a road ran…

Echo Bank House

Echo Bank House

700 Echo Drivec. 1865Residential This 2 1/2 storey stone house represents a transition from stolid Georgian symmetry to a more Romantic sensibility in the Ottawa area. It was built for Colonel George Hay, a prominent hardware merchant and president of the Bank of Ottawa. Tradition has it that, while serving as one of the city’s first aldermen, Hay suggested that Bytown be renamed Ottawa. Further, it was in this very house that Hay is…

Evans House – 175 Belmont Ave

Property Title: 175 Belmont Avenue Address: 175 Belmont Avenue (Lot 17, north side of Belmont Avenue) Introduction The house located at 175 Belmont Avenue in Ottawa, Ontario was constructed in 1898 by Elizabeth Evans, a widow with several children the oldest of which, Grace Evans, was a co-owner. It is a large 2 ½ story brick-veneered frame house with a side hall plan, front-facing gable, and pitched roof. It functioned as a rental property…

End of content

End of content