OSCA Traffic and Safety Committee – Final Draft
Objectives for May 2021- May 2022
Enhanced safety for pedestrians and Cyclists
• Continue advocating, through consultations, meetings, articles etc. for improved safety for cyclists and pedestrians on the Bank Street Canal Bridge including separated lanes for cyclists, pedestrians and motor vehicles.
• Participate with the Councillor’s “Between the Bridges” pilot project to enliven Bank Street for businesses and allow safer active transportation along Bank Street in OOS.
• Advocate for Bank Street in Old Ottawa South to become a complete street in order to enhance pedestrian and cycling safety and promote active transportation.
• Advocate for changes to the Billings Bridge to improve safety for cyclists.
• Gain commitment for enhanced safety and access to the canal pathway through an Echo/Colonel By Project including:
a) permanent bulb-out at Bank and Echo on the southwest corner forcing cars to turn right,
b) counterflow bike lane down the Echo ramp from Bank to Colonel By,
c) PXO at Echo and Colonel By,
d) winter maintenance of Echo ramp sidewalk between Bank and Colonel By
• Advocate for further safety measures on Riverdale including traffic calming measures, installation of bike lanes and monitoring new software development for the Bank and Riverdale intersection.
• Ensure that a bike lane on Grosvenor is included in the plans for the Grove/Grosvenor Sewage and Road Improvement Project and that it is part of a wider cycling network plan between the Bank Street Canal Bridge and the Billings Bridge.
• Gain commitment to retain temporary crossing guard at Bank and Belmont
• Wayfaring signage indicating “Bank Street southbound only” on Colonel By and Queen Elizabeth
Reduce Dangerous Driving and Increase Law Enforcement
• Gain commitment for red light cameras, photo radar and increased OPS presence in the Hopewell school zone on Bank Street and in other areas of OOS
• Continue to monitor and promote an increased number of 4 way stops throughout Old Ottawa South
• Monitor traffic and parking implications of developments in OOS including Southminster Church, 1050-1060 Bank, Brewer Park, OLTBC and Windsor Park
• Maintain active engagement with the Councillor’s office, NCC and City Officials
• Work together and support related work of other OSCA Committees – Planning and Zoning, SWOOS, Environment and Climate Change
• Work together with like-minded organizations such as Bike Ottawa and Safer Roads Ottawa to achieve common goals
• Stay abreast of the work of other community groups where participation could be helpful – Transportation Committee of the FCA, Hopewell Parents’ Council, Bank Street Bridge Design Public Advisory Committee, Parking Strategy Consultation Group, Bank Street (South) Renewal Working Group, Lansdowne Working Group etc
Budget and Staff Support Needed
• $100.00 for miscellaneous expenses for Traffic and Safety
• Light staff support for administrative activities – room bookings etc
• Funding for unlimited access to Zoom time for Committee meetings
May 6, 2021