Old Ottawa South Community Association

Traffic & Safety Committee Meeting Minutes-April 9, 2019

Print Email

Traffic and Safety Committee Meeting

Tuesday April 9, 2019 at 12:30 pm

Lounge at the Firehall

Present: Kathy Krywicki, James Grant, Winnie Pietrykowski, Erik van der Torre, Brian Ure, Sue Neill (Chair)

Regrets: Janet Jull

  1. Welcome: The meeting had been changed to the second week of April in order to accommodate the Meet and Greet luncheon at the Firehall.  Thanks to those who were able to attend.

Additions to the agenda: under item 4 – City Transportation Committee Report, Road Safety Action Plan Stakeholders Meeting Report

  1. Minutes of the TS Meeting of Tuesday, March 5, 2019 – approved by email and posted on the OSCA website.
  2. 2019/20 Priorities – Next Steps
  3. Board approval

The OSCA Board has approved the Traffic and Safety Plan and Priorities at its March meeting.

  1. Sharing of the Plan/Priorities

Meetings are being set up with Phil Landry, Director of Traffic Services with the City; and Shawn Menard, Councillor.  Both have agreed t o meet with us and we are now finding an appropriate time and place.  We will try to meet with Shawn first. Sue to arrange.

Meetings with the Glebe and OOE are still to be arranged.

  1. Committee Members – areas of interest

Individual Committee members indicated where they would like to contribute with regard to implementing the priorities:

PXO Seneca and Colonel By – Sue

Bank Intersections- Erik

Redesign/Flex sticks at Bank and Echo ramp – Sue

Bike Rodeo – Winnie

Green Dreamers – Winnie and Brian

Sunnyside – Brian

Gateway Speed Zone – possibly Janet

Bank Street Bridge Redesign – Erik, James, Sue

No left turn warning signs – Kathy

Red light cameras – Erik, James

Photo Radar – Erik, James

40 km limit on Colonel By – Sue

Physical barrier on Cameron – James

Consistent stop signs secondary intersections – TBD

Speed reduction on Bronson – Erik, Sue

Additional PXOs – Kathy, Sue

Other responsibilities currently underway will continue.  There is still a need to have a cycling lead on the committee. James indicated interest and will talk with several individuals to assess their interest in helping.

  1. Priority Business
  2. Intersections Update – Erik

No response yet from the latest request to the City.  Councillor’s office has asked to be kept informed.  It was noted that cameras were temporarily in place at Aylmer and Cameron – not sure why. So far no complaints that we are aware of have been made following the changes at intersections

  1. Colonel By Pedestrian Crossing at Seneca – Sue

The Councillor has informed us that something is in the works. We are hoping that there will be an announcement by the time of the OSCA AGM.

  1. Bike Rally – Winnie

Plans are well underway, led by a capable, lively and enthusiastic committee.  Winnie reminded Committee members that they should plan to attend. May 31, June 1, 2.  The Sunnyside Library will organize a display of cycling books to help promote the Bike Rally. Winnie to check Bike Ottawa’s involvement with Denise.

Winnie also reported that she had attended a Volunteer Recognition event at the library during which the Green Dreamers were awarded an amount of $500.00 to be used for the library gardens this spring.An article has been prepared for the May issue of the OSCAR. Winnie and Brian will visit the new location of Noel Landscape on Bank Street to determine if there is interest in working with the Green Dreamers.

  1. City of Ottawa’s Road Safety Action Stakeholder’s meeting

Brian attended this meeting on April 6.  The City’s Road Safety Action Plan was presented and input sought as to priority areas of emphasis for the plan. Stakeholders are now asked to contribute “countermeasures” or tasks that they might undertake to contribute to the accomplishment of the areas of emphasis.  Forms will be provided with a tight timeline.

Brian to prepare a response on the forms and circulate to Committee members for input. Brian will then provide to the FCA for a roll-up from all communities. FCA will submit to the City.

A presentation including data on fatal and major injuries citywide was presented. Janet to be asked if she will work on pulling out data relating specifically to Old Ottawa South (Sue to ask).

  1. Report to the City Transportation Committee and Council on Temporary Traffic Calming Measures Program (TTCMP)– submitted by Phil Landry

Kathy circulated the report containing interesting and informative information on the TTCMP ($50,000 per year allocated to Councillors for traffic calming measures in their riding).  This is important information for our upcoming meeting with Phil Landry pertaining to such elements as flex sticks, painting of lines, speed boards etc.

  1. Communications
  2. Ongoing – “Did You Know” columns

Kathy has submitted a DYK piece for May relating to helmet safety relating to the Bike Rally

  1. Future OSCAR Articles – Christine Bradley has prepared an article on the Green Dreamers. Sue will prepare one on the T&S Committee 2019 priorities. Winnie will prepare another promo for the Bike Rally and Rodeo.  Deadline is this Friday April 12.
  2. Board Report – to be submitted by Thursday April 11. Sue to prepare.
  3. Resident Concerns
  4. Sunnyside Rain Gardens/Traffic Calming

Brian will contact the City to determine what if any assessment has been done on the rain gardens and other traffic calming measures on Sunnyside.

  1. Gateway Speed Zone

Our contact on this project is Colin Ashford.  Colin is following up with Shawn to determine if progress has been made.  Janet will be asked to assist with this.

  1. Liaison Updates
  2. FCA Transportation Committee

Brian reported that the next FCA meeting will be held at the Firehall on April 17. Richard will welcome on behalf of OSCA and Shawn Menard will be part of a panel presentation on the City’s new Official Plan. The FCA business meeting will follow. Brian will represent OSCA.

  1. Hopewell Parents Council – next meeting is on Tuesday April 9, 2019
  2. SWOOS – Kathy to make sure that Anna has seen the City’s Snow Clearing Report
  3. Other Business
  4. Lansdowne “Visioning” exercise

We want to ensure that traffic issues are part of the discussion, especially the Bank Street Bridge since it is our route to Lansdowne – for discussion with Shawn.

  1. OSCA AGM – May 7, 2019

There will need to be a T&S Report prepared. Sue to prepare and circulate.  Winnie provided an overview of the plans for the AGM.

  1. Next Meeting –Because the regular meeting date falls on the same date as the OSCA AGM, it was agreed that the meeting should be moved to Tuesday May 14 at 12:30 pm.

Date of the June meeting tbd – we may not have a formal meeting.

  1. Adjournment – at 2:15 pm.
Last modified on Thursday, 16 May 2019 10:23

Contact us

613-247-4946