fbpx

Old Ottawa South Community Association

Traffic and Safety Committee Meeting Tuesday July 2, 2019 at 12:30 pm Lounge at the Firehall

Print Email

Traffic and Safety Committee Meeting
Tuesday July 2, 2019 at 12:30 pm
Lounge at the Firehall

Present: Brian Ure, Kathy Krywicki, Erik van der Torre, James Grant, Winnie Pietrykowski, Sue Neill, Chair

  1. Welcome – Reminder that we had not met in June in order to focus on the meetings with Phil Landry and Shawn Menard, both of which took place.

2.Minutes of the TS Meeting of Tuesday May 14, 2019 – approved as circulated and posted.

3.Business Arising from the Minutes

  1. Follow up to Meeting with Phil Landry – May 8, 2019
  • See note circulated on May 9, 2019 outlining discussions
  1. Follow up to meeting with Shawn Menard -  May 29, 2019
  • See note circulated on May 31, 2019 and accompanying email from Shawn to staff

            It was agreed that Sue would prepare follow-up notes to Shawn and Phil requesting  updates. To be circulated to Committee members for input.

4.Priority Business

  1. Intersections Update – Erik
  • Waiting for a reply the City (Jama) outlining what the data collected is indicating about the intersections at Bank and Riverside, Riverdale and Belmont, Riverdale and Sunnyside and Bronson and Sunnyside.
  1. Colonel By Pedestrian Crossing at Seneca – Sue
  • Very discouraging – no further news
  1. Bike Rally – Winnie
  • In spite of the rain and lower attendance from last year, there were many positives – new volunteers from the Tennis Club, enhanced relationship with the Tennis Club, better organization, art display and follow-up
  • Question posed by Winnie – is this the best use of resources and the best way to promote bike safety; may be other ways that are less work intensive
  • Winnie to discuss with her team and to include James – bring the subject back to the Committee for discussion at the October meeting
  1. Cameron Bike Lane – James
  • James to contact Scott Muir of the City and discuss the proposal with him and report back to the Committee. Sue to mention the proposal and the meeting with Scott in her note to Phil Landry
  1. Gateway Speed Limit Zone – Sue
  • In the hands of the Councillor; should be in place on the west side of Bank in OOS by the end of the summer
  1. Bank Street Bridge Redesign 
  • Shawn has made a proposal to the City and is awaiting a response
  • Concern raised by the committee about the lack of consultation and involvement; letter to Shawn to indicate this concern
  • Possibility of an article in the fall OSCAR raising questions about the bridge and asking for community input (needs to be prepared and submitted by August 16 for September 2019 OSCAR)
  1. Sunnyside Rain Gardens and Traffic Calming – Brian
  • Brian and Winnie met with Darlene Conway from the City at the rain gardens and discussed remedial work; City has agreed to restore the rain gardens by the end of the summer 
  • Brian has received an email with vague information about the impact of the rain gardens and the bulb outs on the speed of cars on Sunnyside. He will follow up requesting more specific information.
  • Still work to be done in setting up the system whereby volunteers will be responsible for cleaning up the gardens
  1. Green Dreamers – Winnie, Brian
  • Winnie and Brian hosted a “strawberry tea” last Saturday on the porch of the Firehall to thank the Green Dreamer volunteers
  • Three new trees have been planted at the Firehall
  • Gardening to be included in children’s programming at the Firehall
  • Brian to talk to kids about planting seeds

5.Communications

  1. Ongoing – “Did You Know” columns – Kathy
  • Kathy will ensure that a DYK piece is included in the September OSCAR
  1. Future OSCAR Articles 
  • Depending on updates from Shawn and Phil, may be possible to include an update on priorities for the September OSCAR (Sue)

6.Resident Concerns

a)B. Tansey re Willard 

  • Sue and Winnie to follow-up with Brian; he has raised some concerns about traffic issues at Willard and Sunnyside raised in a 2015 memo.
  1. Hopewell issues (Erik)
  • Erik to arrange meeting to discuss issues at west end of Hopewell and Hopewell in general

7.Liaison Updates

a)FCA Transportation Committee – Brian

  • Leadership of FCA as issue; Brian to keep us informed

b)Hopewell Parents Council – Erik

  • Nothing to report

c)Bike Ottawa – James

  • James to make official contact on behalf of the T&S Committee

d)SWOOS

  • Request for information about bus stops on Sunnyside from Anna; we have no information

e)OTLBC 

  • Erik reported that there are still community concerns about volleyball-related traffic issues; detrimental to the relationship the OTLBC wants to have with the community
  • Winnie and Sue to meet with Maria/Lael to discuss

8.Other Business 

a)1040-1050 Bank Development – Sue/Kathy to stay informed about this development

b)Road Safety Action Plan

  • Brian attended the second consultation of the City’s Road Safety Action Plan. This will identify priorities for the City for the coming years.
  • When the report from the second consultation comes out, Brian to circulate to us with instructions on how to provide input.  We may need to do this in August.
  • The Road Safety Action plan feeds into the City Transportation Plan and into the City’s Official Plan so is important for us to pay attention to.
  1. Next Meeting– Tuesday September 3, 2019 at 12:30 at the Firehall.  There will be no formal meeting in August but members are available for discussion if necessary.

Contact us

613-247-4946