fbpx

Old Ottawa South Community Association

Traffic & Safety Committee Meeting Minutes - Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Print Email

Traffic and Safety Committee Meeting

Tuesday , March 3, 2020 at 12:30 pm

Lounge at the Firehall

Present:  Erik van der Torre, Brian Ure, Sue Neill

Apologies:  James Grant, Betty McGregor, Kathy Krywicki

Absent:  Eric Campbell

  1. Welcome – Looking forward to revving up on traffic projects as the snow starts to melt!
     
  2. Minutes of the TS Meeting of Tuesday February 4, 2020 – approved and posted
     
  3. Business Arising from the Minutes
    a. Update to Objectives following Feb. 12 meeting

On February 12, a second meeting took place to review the T&S objectives for 20/21. Attending were Kathy, Betty, James and Sue.  Some slight additions were made to the objectives and these were reviewed at the meeting today.  No further changes were made.

  1. Priority Business
    a. Preparation for March 17 Board Meeting – Objectives Review and Approval;

The T&S Objectives will be presented to the Board for approval at the March 17 meeting.

  1. Process for communicating with the City and the Councillor re Objectives

It was agreed that we would do an overview presentation to the Councillor and Phil Landry as we did last year. 

Re follow-up to individual items, Erik will continue to deal directly with the Councillor’s office on Hopewell residents’ issues.  Cameron bike lane and the Cameron Seneca stop sign will be included on the list of overall objectives.

On other items on our agenda, contact with the City and the Councillor should initially at least be through Sue.

  1. Follow-up on Outstanding Items from 2019/20
  • Bank and Riverdale Intersection – no further update
  • Cameron and Seneca; Cameron Bike Lane – no further update
  1. Communications
    a. Ongoing – “Did You Know” columns – Kathy to prepare a DYK for the April OSCAR
    b. Future OSCAR Articles –

Assuming that the T&S objectives are approved by the Board, Sue to prepare an article for the April OSCAR. Other topics for future articles include – changes to Bronson Avenue and an update on the Sunnyside raingardens and the Green Dreamers Adopt -a- Roadway  Agreement with the City

  1. Vision Zero Language – agreed to try to use the language preferred by Vision Zero to describe traffic incidents eg crash instead of accident etc.  Sue to ask Betty  to prepare a short glossary of expressions advocated by Vision Zero.

 

  1. Resident Concerns
    a. Hopewell issues and follow-up

Erik received a follow-up response from the Councillor’s office a week or so ago suggesting a follow-up meeting.  Erik to go ahead. Also to provide a copy of the correspondence to Sue.                                   

  1. Liaison Updates
    a. FCA Transportation Committee – nothing to report
    b. Hopewell Parents Council – nothing to report
     
  2. Other Business  
    a. E-scooters Proposal – noted but not supported
    b. Traffic and Safety Data for Old Ottawa South – we should try to compile data outlining reported crashes/incidents in OOS.  Sue to ask Kathy to try to pull some initial data together;  then may see what the City/Councillor has available
    c. Brian reported that the new environment working group had had a second meeting and discussed some interesting projects.  The group is still informal and not in a position to take on the Green Dreamers or the Sunnyside rain gardens at this point so these items will remain with the T&S Committee for now.
     
  3. Next Meeting – Tuesday April 7, 2020 at 12:30pm.  A change of time was discussed but it was agreed to leave the time as is for now.

Contact us

613-247-4946