fbpx

Old Ottawa South Community Association

Traffic & Safety Committee Meeting - Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Print Email

Traffic and Safety Committee Meeting
Tuesday, April 7, 2020 at 12:30 pm
Via Zoom teleconference

Present: Brian Ure, Kathy Krywicki, Betty McGregor, James Grant, Erik van der Torre, Ariel-Ann Lyons, Sue Neill: Chair

  1. Welcome

    - Sue welcomed Ariel-Ann as a new member to the committee and members introduced themselves.

    - It was noted because of the Covid 19 virus, the committee is meeting via Zoom for the first ever time. In the future, it will be useful for committee members who are not able to attend the face-to-face meetings because of work responsibilities to attend via Zoom.

    - James will contact Eric Campbell to see if he will be able to attend via Zoom in the future.  (Note that Eric has confirmed as of April 8, 2020 that he will not be participating on the committee)
     
  2. Minutes of the TS Meeting of Tuesday March 3, 2020

Approved but it was noted that neither the February nor the March minutes had been posted on the OSCA website.  Sue to contact Luke.

  1. Business Arising from the Minutes

    a) OSCA Update

Because of the Covid virus, the Firehall closed and programs have been cancelled until at least the end of June.  A Zoom Board meeting will be held on April 21, 2020 and the AGM scheduled for May 5 has been postponed indefinitely.

       b) Status of T&S Objectives

The T&S 2020/21 objectives were to be presented to the Board for approval on March 19, 20220 but that meeting was cancelled.  Sue will make a presentation and request Board approval at the Board meeting on April 21, 2020

  1. Priority Business

    a) Proposed Bike/bus lane on Bank Street and the Bank Street Bridge
    i. Bank Street Corridor – Riverdale to Aylmer (not bridge)

- It was agreed that the T&S Committee did not support the proposal to create a bus/bike lane on Bank Street from Riverdale to Aylmer during “busy” hours. This would create more confusion and uncertainty on Bank Street and would take away parking which offers protection to pedestrians and also allows access to local businesses. 

  1. Bank Street Bridge

During the Covid 19 Period

The committee supported the proposal to create more space for pedestrians on the Bank Street bridge by closing one of the lanes to traffic on each side.  Another measure may be to have northbound pedestrians on one side and southbound on the other.

Normal Times (post Covid 19)

The committee discussed the proposal to make the curb lane of the Bank St. Bridge a "Bus & Bike Only lane". This is a compromise solution in the short-medium term recognizing the need to priorize buses and that a bike only lane may be under-utilized in winter months. However, the committee still supports a bike only solution as the safest solution in the long-term.  Buses and bikes sharing a lane over the bridge poses a risk.

  1. Bronson/Sunnyside Intersection

Betty and Sue prepared a response to a call for input on modifications to the Bronson/Sunnyside renovations circulated by the Councillor’s Office.  Shawn forwarded the letter to Phil Landry for his staff to review.  We are awaiting a response.

  1. Bronson and Raven Transit

We were asked by the City if we wanted to provide comment on the proposal with respect to the extension of Raven Street on the Carleton campus out to Bronson.  Kathy will continue to review the material and provide guidance to the Committee.  Date for submission of comments in April 18, 2020.

  1. Seneca/Colonel By Crossing

Sue had written to Pat Sammon asking about a possible start-up date for the construction of the crossing since the old trees had been taken down recently.  Pat’s response indicated that the trees were taken down to prevent nesting.  It is possible that the landscaping work relating to the electrical work may be started in the next two weeks but the project will most likely not be completed by the end of July as planned.

  1. Bank Street Traffic Issues

A lively discussion took place stimulated by a compelling article written by James about the traffic on Bank Street and the need for residents’ engagement.

It was agreed that the article should be submitted to the next OSCAR by James as a T&S Committee member but indicating that the committee is also concerned about the issues which James raises but that the views expressed in the article are his own.

The article calls for views from the residents.  Committee members to review the article and provide comments to James.

Since many of the 2020/21 T&S objectives relate to Bank Street, it was agreed that we should packages these as a “Bank Street Blitz”.  James agreed to be the lead and all members agreed to work on this the “Bank Street Bunch”.  The concept is to be developed further outside of meeting time.  May involve Safer Roads Ottawa.

  1. Communications

    a) Ongoing – “Did You Know” columns – next one to relate to the “beg buttons”

    b) Future OSCAR Articles
    - Regular deadline for the next OSCAR is April 17, 2020 although this may be delayed. As well as the article from James, Sue will prepare an article on the T&S objectives for 2020/21
     
  2. Resident Concerns

    - Hopewell issues and follow-up; Shawn’s office is working on these and will keep in touch with Erik
     
  3. Other Business

       - Erik raised the question of the use of social media to convey the T&S messages. This is a valuable tool for T&S. It was agreed that Erik and Sue would talk before messages are posted.                         

  1. Next Meeting – Tuesday May 5, 2020 at 12:30pm

 

Last modified on Wednesday, 08 July 2020 15:30

Contact us

613-247-4946