fbpx

Old Ottawa South Community Association

Traffic & Safety Committee Meeting - Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Print Email

Traffic and Safety Committee Meeting

Tuesday, May 5, 2020 at 12:30 pm

  1. Welcome

A second Zoom meeting and a reminder of how to re-join the meeting if our free 40 minutes expires.

Ariel-Ann has a work commitment at 1 and will leave the meeting then.

  1. Minutes of the TS Meeting of Tuesday April 7, 2020

            Approved but not posted.  Staff at the Firehall are understandably busy but Erik will ask if they can post the minutes from February, March             and April.

  1. Business Arising from the Minutes
  • Status of T&S Objectives

Sue presented the objectives to the Board on April 21, 2020 and they were approved without discussion.  Following from last year’s practice, Sue will send the objectives to Phil Landry and Shawn Menard and request a meeting to discuss and gain support for the objectives.

  • Sunnyside/Bronson Intersection – Comments were submitted to Shawn and the City as requested; forwarded to Phil for consideration by Shawn
  • Bronson/Raven Road Consultation – Sue and Kathy reviewed the documents and agreed that no comment from T&S was necessary

 

  1. Priority Business
  1. Bank Street Proposals
  1. Response to Bank Street Bridge Rehabilitation Project

A response was sent from the Committee to the City as requested providing some suggestions but also expressing concern that repairs to the bridge would be undertaken while consideration of more significant changes is underway.

Brian suggested that the work under the bridge could begin so that the temporary arrangement on the street side of the bridge could remain during the pandemic.

  1. Bank Street Bridge Temporary Lane Reconfiguration

Following a request from the Councillor on this and the proposal for temporary bulbouts, the committee will respond on the two items together.

Betty will prepare a draft and will circulate to the Committee for comment.  James will provide Betty with a drawing of his proposal to split the outside lane in two for pedestrians and cyclists in order to reduce some of the confusion on the bridge.

  1. Proposal for Temporary Bulbouts in OOS – not supported
     
  2. Proposal for Temporary Lane Closures in the Glebe

Sue, Kathy and Betty had listened in on the call organized by the Councillor’s office to discuss the proposed closure of the outside lane on three blocks of the east side of Bank Street in the Glebe (Third to Glebe). Very different views between the residents and the business owners (and the BIA).Concern was raised by the committee on the divide which seems to be forming between the business owners in OOS and the Councillor.

  1. Future proposed changes

Although efforts had been made to have the Councillor clarify what was still under consideration in OOS, not all is clear.  On April 27, 2020, the Councillor replied to a letter from Sue indicating that a pilot project involving a bike lane and a parking lane on Bank Street in OOS was still under consideration for the future.

Sue will write to Shawn for clarification.  Following clarification, Sue and Erik may meet with some of the Business owners in OOS to discuss further.  This situation is pointing out again that there is no BIA in OOS.  

At some point in the future, we will suggest a meeting with the Glebe Traffic Committee to discuss common concerns.

  1. Bank Street Blitz” – resident engagement

James will prepare a short description of the proposed project indicating how we might engage residents to take action on traffic matters in OOS.

  1. Seneca/Colonel By Crossing Update

Trees have been removed and a backhoe has flattened the surface so construction is underway.

  1. Bike Lanes Update
  1. Aylmer – signage is up but no road markings as yet; there is now no stopping on the south side of Aylmer
  2. Seneca – now in place; no stop sign on Seneca at Cameron; James to pick up contact again with the City to check on progress
  3. Cameron – plates are still in place for the flex sticks but no installation yet; usually comes later in the spring
  4. Other – none that we know of
  1. Willard etc Road and Sewage Reconstruction – 30Km Speed Zone

Shawn informed the OSCA Board on April 21, 2020 that this area under construction will become a 30 km/hr speed zone during and after construction

 

  1. Communications
  1. Ongoing – “Did You Know” columns – Kathy will submit something for the June deadline; comment on the “beg buttons” was included in the May/June issue
  2. Future OSCAR Articles – James’ article

Everyone was asked to review James’ article and to provide feedback.  James and Sue to discuss.  Target is the June/July OSCAR

 

  1. Resident/Business Concerns
  1. Hopewell issues and follow-up – nothing to report; waiting for a response from Shawn                            

 

  1. Liaison Updates
  1. Hopewell Parents Council – Erik reported that there likely be no meetings until the Fall
     
  2. Other Business  

- Brian noted that there was a serious accident on Bank near Cedars on Monday.

        - Kathy to see what she can find out about it.

- Brian reported that the FCA had had a Zoom call. He will circulate the information.

- Brian also noted that the appeal to the OMB about the construction of condos in conjunction with Southminster Church had been completed.  The appeal was refused so construction can begin.  We should be paying attention to traffic issues in conjunction with the construction.

  1. Next Meeting – Tuesday June 2, 2020 at 12:30pm 
Last modified on Wednesday, 08 July 2020 15:30

Contact us

613-247-4946