Old Ottawa South Community Association

  • Programs

Traffic and Safety Committee Meeting Minutes -Tuesday, March 5, 2019 at 12:30 pm

Traffic and Safety Committee Meeting

Tuesday, March 5, 2019 at 12:30 pm

Lounge at the Firehall


Present: Erik van der Torre, Kathy Krywicki, James Grant, Winnie Pietrykowski, Brian Ure, Sue Neill (Chair)

Regrets: Janet Jull

  1. Introduction and Welcome

Main purpose of the meeting today is to discuss and agree on the priority objectives of the Committee for 2019/20

  1. Minutes of the TS Meeting of Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Approved as circulated and posted on the OSCA Website.

  1. Finalization of 2019/20 Priorities

Following an exercise in which members of the Committee were asked to prioritize independently a list of previously discussed objectives, a list of emailed responses was compiled by the Chair for discussion at the meeting.

Following discussion, the Chair agreed to compile a revised list and circulate to members for input.

The final list is to be submitted on March 14, 2019 for discussion and approval at the March 19, 2019 meeting of the OSCA Board.

Following approval, an article will be prepared for the OSCAR and comment from the readers sought.

  1. Priority Business
  2. Intersections Report, Recommendations and Next Steps (Erik)

Request to the City to remove the beg buttons on the traffic signals going east and west on Bank Street has been approved and successfully implemented.  Shawn Menard had intervened with the City to assist in achieving this objective. Congratulations to Erik for his work on this!

Still remaining to be negotiated – beg buttons to be removed at Bank and Riverdale, and possibly at other intersections along Riverdale, also advanced pedestrian signals to be installed at all intersections. Erik to follow up.

  1. Colonel By Pedestrian Crossing at Seneca (Sue)

Shawn Menard has become involved in this file and has met with the OPS and the City.  He has informed us that he should have news for us in a couple of weeks.

Sue to write to Shawn’s assistant to reinforce the priorities of the Committee with regard to this intersection.

  1. Bike Rally (Winnie)

Invitations have been issued to local politicians and community associations in Capital Ward. David Chernushenko is interested in being involved in a creative way. Next meeting of the Organizing Committee is March 28.

  1. Communications
  2. Ongoing – “Did You Know” columns

Kathy to consider using some information from material circulated by James on impact of speed and seriousness of injuries.

  1. Future OSCAR Articles

Article on priorities to be prepared once agreed by the Board.

  1. Liaison Updates
  2. FCA Transportation Committee (Brian) – Next meeting Wednesday, March 6, 2019. Brian to attend.
  3. Ottawa Tennis and Lawn Bowling Club (Winnie) Ongoing re the Bike Rally
  4. Hopewell Parents Council

Erik to send Winnie the co-ordinates for the Co-chairs of the Parent’s Council so they can be invited to participate in the Bike Rally.

  1. Glebe Traffic Committee

To be contacted once the priorities are agreed by the Board.

  1. Capital Ward Council – nothing new
  2. SWOOS- nothing new
  3. Other Business

Agreed that we should hold a special planning meeting to develop a strategy and plan for the Bank Street Bridge project – possibly in June.

  1. Next Meeting – Tuesday April 2, 2019

Traffic and Safety Committee Meeting Tuesday February 5, 2019 at 12:30 pm Lounge at the Firehall

Present: Winnie Pietrykowski, Brian Ure, Kathy Krywicki, Erik van der Torre, Sue Neill - Chair

  1. Introduction and Welcome
  • Regrets from James Grant and Janet Jull

2.Minutes of the TS Meeting of January 8, 2019

  • Approved as circulated and posted on the OSCA Website

3.Priority Business

a)Intersections Report, Recommendations and Next Steps 

Erik has sent a reminder to his contact at the City but is still waiting for a response concerning our request.

b)Colonel By Pedestrian Crossing at Seneca 

At the pop-up office, Shawn Menard reported on his discussions with the City and the NCC and raised a new possibility of a full traffic light at Seneca. He discouraged us from going to the OPS and said he would be in contact with us to update in two weeks.

The T&S Committee discussed this new possibility of a full traffic light and agreed that we would maintain our priority as discussed last week – a raised crosswalk is our preference but will settle for an at grade crosswalk if necessary perhaps lobbying to have it raised in the future.  It was agreed that it was important to have the work completed this year while it is in the City budget.

Sue to write to Shawn to confirm this.

c)Bike Rally 

Winnie reported that the planning for the Bike Rally is well underway and that it will be over a weekend this year (tentatively May 31, June 1-2) with the OTLBC playing an active role and possibly hosting two events as part of the program.

Sue to write to Shawn to invite him and his staff to participate. Other communities in Capital Ward to be invited. Winnie to assist with emails. 

d) 2019 Priorities 

With a few changes to the previously circulated draft, the Role of the Committee, How the Committee Works and the Goals were approved.  A revised version will be circulated.  All members are to review the revised draft and consider the objectives putting them in priority order under each goal and then making a list of combined priorities without the headings.  Kathy to help to ensure that the objectives are stated as outcomes.

To be finalized at the March T&S Committee for presentation to the OSCA Board at the March meeting.


  1. Ongoing – “Did You Know” columns

Possible suggestion for the next month – bylaws involving dumping of snow on the sidewalk by private contractors

  1. Recent OSCAR Article and CBC attention – Colonel By/Seneca 

We have had four email responses and two Facebook responses with 8 likes and 1 angry. Generally the responses are supportive of the work of the Committee. All of the emails were copied to Shawn and to the T&S Committee.

  1. Future OSCAR Articles

Possibly an update on the PXO and the Intersections project if there is any news.  Winnie will submit a Bike Rally article.  Deadline is Friday February 16.

5.Liaison Updates

a)FCA Transportation Committee 

Brian is now a member of the FCA Transportation Committee. FCA is a city-wide advocacy group for sharing information and action on civic issues.  The FCA Transportation Committee has many similar objectives to the T&S Committee. Next meeting is February 6, 2019.

Brian also attended a meeting relating to Urban Forest Management on behalf of OSCA.  Implementation of the Urban Forest Management Plan was delayed because of the municipal elections.

b)Ottawa Tennis and Lawn Bowling Club 

Winnie is in regular contact with the Executive Director, Maria Pierre-Noel, because of her involvement with the Bike Rally.

c)Hopewell Parents Council 

Nothing to report

d)Snow Moles 

The next meeting of the snow moles will be February 12 at 10 am at the Firehall. All welcome.

e)Bike Ottawa

Winnie will be contacting Bike Ottawa in conjunction with the Bike Rally.

f)Glebe Traffic Committee

Once the T&S Plan is completed Sue will arrange for a meeting with Matt Meagher to be accompanied by James who is interested in liaising with the Glebe.

g)Capital Ward Council

Winnie attended the First meeting with Richard and has circulated a report – a good meeting with many common issues throughout the ward.

6.Other Business

Agreed to request a meeting with staff of the Councillor’s office on an as needed basis.

  1. Next Meeting– Tuesday March 5, 2019
Colonel By Drive Crossing at Seneca Update

Colonel By Drive Crossing at Seneca Update

Plus an Invitation for Feedback

Over the last 2-3 years, the OSCA Traffic and Safety Committee has been lobbying and in discussions with the City and the NCC with respect to the installation of a safe crossing (PXO) of Colonel By Drive in Old Ottawa South (as reported in the OSCAR and online on several occasions). This article is to provide an update on this project and to invite community feedback with respect to next steps.


Traffic and Safety Committee Meeting Tuesday January 8, 2019 at 12:30 pm

Traffic and Safety Committee Meeting

Tuesday January 8, 2019 at 12:30 pm

Lounge at the Firehall


  1. Introduction and Welcome

Present: Erik van der Torre, Winnie Pietrykowski, Kathy Krywicki, Brian Ure, Janet Jull, Sue Neill (Chair)

James Grant was welcomed as a new member of the T&S Committee and will be added to the mailing list.


  1. Special Guest

Shawn Menard, Councillor for Capitol Ward had been invited and was intending to attend the meeting but was ill.  Jonathan McLeod, from the Councillor’s office attended.


Jonathan shared the Councillor’s priorities for Traffic and Safety:

  • Safety on the Bank Street Bridge and Billings Bridge for pedestrians and cyclists
  • General safety concerns for bikers and pedestrians – deterrents and maintenance issues
  • Timing and format of traffic lights on Bank Street
  • Safety on Bronson – tweaks on traffic lights, curb cuts etc
  • Speeding and traffic calming on Bank and Bronson
  • Crossing guards and qualifications of crossing guards


Re Work on the Bank Street Bridge

  • Repairs to be done this year, design work in May June, work in August, (small project now but could morph into something bigger)
  • Bank Street Bridge belongs to the City


Re City budget

  • Shawn to hold a budget consultation on Jan 30 at Jim Durrell Centre
  • Feb 6 Budget will be tabled
  • March 6 voted on by Council



(Note to us – we should try to find out the amount for T&S in the budget and consider attending the consultation on Jan 30; could email Shawn stating the importance of funding for T&S.


In 2018, City of Ottawa budget allocated $40,000 to each ward for the Temporary Traffic Calming Measures Program.

Riley Brockington (River Ward Councillor) has suggested this amount might be increased this year:



Budget consultation details: https://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/budget/get-involved-budget-2019#councillor-led-public-consultation-meeting-dates 

Key date for Transportation Committee Feb. 26, 2019


T&S Priorities then Discussed

  • Colonel By Crossing at Seneca (Briefing note had been sent to Shawn by us on this); Shawn to meet with Pat Sammon this week; discussion of how to expand involvement to add pressure to the decision-making process (Bike Ottawa, Safer Roads, media etc)
  • Intersection Project – Shawn already discussing intersections with the Glebe – will include OOS in the discussions
  • Bank Street Bridge – no left turn sign at Wilton, no left turn at the Echo Ramp and Bank; need to take a stronger and more aggressive stand
  • Green Dreamers and Sunnyside Rain Gardens – for info



  1. Minutes of the TS Meeting of December 4, 2018


Approved and posted on the OSCA website


  1. Priority Business


  1. Intersections Report, Recommendations and Next Steps
  • No news from the City, Erik to send a reminder next week
  • Follow up with Shawn’s office re discussions in the Glebe


  1. Colonel By Pedestrian Crossing at Seneca
  • Sue to write to NCC contact
  • Erik to check to see if Richard has received any reply from his letter to McKenna’s office (Zach)
  • Kathy to attend Catherine McKenna’s New Years Levee and speak with her and/or her staff
  • Sue to draft an update article for February OSCAR – with Erik
  • Consider involving others as discussed eg Bike Ottawa, CBC, Ottawa Citizen – Erik to look into this


  1. Board Report Format, Strategic Plan/Vision Zero, 2019 Priorities

Committee reports and priorities to be discussed at the upcoming Board meeting; T&S format to be considered as a model for other committees; objectives to be set by committees and reported on at Board meetings

  • Thorough discussion of the Plan and priorities to take place at the February meeting


  1. Communications


  1. Ongoing – “Did You Know” columns – Kathy to submit a DYK “article” for February
  2. Future OSCAR Articles – update on Colonel By crossing for February; T&S priorities for March (Sue to discuss with Richard)


  1. Liaison Updates


  1. FCA Transportation Committee (Brian) – nothing to report


  1. Ottawa Tennis and Lawn Bowling Club

Winnie reported that the Club has become engaged in the planning of the Bike Rally next June and Maria Pierre-Noel, OTLBC Executive Director, is a part of the planning committee.


  1. Hopewell Parents Council

Erik indicated that there is nothing to report relating to the Council. However the problems with traffic and safety on Hopewell continue.  We will discuss next month as a project to be included in the plan.


  1. Snow Moles – Winnie, Sue and Jonathan participated in the Snow Moles audit earlier in the day. Twenty-five people participated in identifying areas hindering walkability in OOS. Sue to send a note of congratulations to Anna


  1. Glebe Traffic Committee – James volunteered to be the liaison.  Sue to contact Matt about how this could work.


  1. Other Business


Discussions occurred throughout the meeting about building relationships/alliances with the City (Glebe, other communities) and organizations (Bike Ottawa et cetera) to move our concerns forward in a way that aligns with stakeholders locally and also city-wide.


  1. Next Meeting – Tuesday February 5, 2019



Pedestrian Signals along Bank Street

In the November 2018 OSCAR, the OSCA Traffic & Safety Committee published an article outlining the current situation along Bank Street in Old Ottawa South regarding East-West pedestrian signals. In the article, the committee proposes to work with the City to implement two changes: 1) make all E-W pedestrian signals automatic, and 2) make sure that all E-W pedestrian signals have an advanced green for pedestrians.


OSCA Traffic and Safety Committee Sets Priorities for 2017-18

The Traffic and Safety Committee is a committee of the Old Ottawa South Community Association. To carry out its work, the committee collaborates with a number of different entities including the Councillor’s Office, City of Ottawa traffic officials, the National Capital Commission, the Hopewell School Parents’ Council, our neighbouring communities, and various informal residents’ groups in Old Ottawa South.

Traffic and safety matters are very near and dear to everyone’s heart and there is no lack of work for this committee to undertake. Each year, priorities must be set in order to direct our efforts.

At its meeting of October 3, 2017, the T&S Committee agreed on the following as its priorities for the upcoming 6-8 months:

Subscribe to this RSS feed

Contact us